A starving, homeless Polish Jewish woman sits on the pavement while interned in the Warsaw Ghetto. Construction of the ghetto was completed on 16 November 1940 and during the following year and a half, thousands of Polish Jews from Warsaw, smaller cities and the countryside were forcibly interned. Starvation, disease and homelessness became rampant; the average food rations in 1941 for Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto were limited to 184 calories per person a day. Image taken by Wehrmacht soldier Heinz Jöst (not to be confused with SS-Brigadeführer and Generalmajor Heinz Jost). Warsaw Ghetto, Warsaw, Masovian Voivodeship, Poland. 19 September 1941.