An American soldier of the U.S. First Army stands in the middle of rubble in the Monument of the Battle of the Nations in Leipzig after the Allies attacked the city on 18 April 1945. The huge monument commemorating the defeat of Napoleon in 1813 was one of the last strongholds of the German forces in the city to surrender. One hundred and fifty SS fanatics with ammunition and foodstuffs stored in the structure to last three months dug themselves in and were determined to hold out as long as their supplies. The First Army artillery eventually blasted the SS troops into surrender. Leipzig had already sustained heavy and frequent aerial assaults by British and U.S. forces beginning in 1943, leaving the city in complete ruins by war’s end. Leipzig, Saxony, Germany. 18 April 1945. Image taken by Eric Schwab.
(Source: The Atlantic)